Sunday, March 1, 2009

day care

I really struggled with pulling Seth out of his day care. I love the teachers, he's happy there, and the teachers all love him. But with him getting sick so much, it was hard not to at least try changing things around a bit. So we found an in-home day care for him, right near our house. It's a nice place, a lady's house, who has a friend who comes every day too (it allows them to have 4 infants instead of just 2 with 1 teacher). And they are both very familiar with asthma, which helped make that decision a lot easier. Every other place I saw, freaked a bit when I mentioned asthma, and said they were fine with it as long as they didn't have to do his meds. Which from time to time, he does need during the day.

SO, he started his new day care on Monday, and he LOVES it. He has a girlfriend already, a little girl who is 18 months old. She loves to hug and kiss him, and he loves it too. It's so cute! His teachers are both great, and they're all impressed at how well he's adjusted so quickly. He slept for 2 1/2 hours the first day, which apparently is unusual for babies in a new situation. But he did great! I'm so relieved. And the fun part, is that Celia usually goes to pick him up with me. And she made a friend there too, who is 6 and goes to Kindergarten, but is there after school every day. She kept asking about playing iwht her, so I asked the teacher if there are any spots available for the summer for Celia. And there was one, so I've now got that. Definitely cool that we found a nice place, that is way cheaper than we've been paying, for both kids. Celia will stay in her current place through June until she graduates from Prek. SO excited about this!

Other things are falling into a better rhythm. Work has been better, with me being able to BE there. I've been really productive, which has been great. Though am meeting the week after next with HR to make sure I"m covered by FMLA in case the baby is sick and my manager gets upset with me again. I don't want to screw up any more. I do like my job, and I"d like to keep it.

I finally got up the nerve to start asking around about expanding my yarn business a little bit. I went to one of my favorite LYS's and showed the owner some of my stuff, and she's placed an order with me for June! 7 colorways and 3 skeins of each colorway to start. And then we'll see how it goes. I can't wait. I'm way excited about this, and it will be so much fun to really get some dyeing in. I spent yesterday dyeing up a bunch of new colorways too, and I"m thrilled with how they came out! I can't wait for them to dry so I can skein them up and see how they really look. I've also been accepted to a big sock show that's going to be happening this summer in Oregon. I'm still deciding on whether it's possible to do it or not, and how much I'd have to sell to make it worth it. But it's a lot of fun to dream, and think that I could be part of the first ever Sock Summitt. I get giddy just thinking about it!! It would be a business expense, and it would really get my yarn out there. So I"m considering it. I'm also speaking with an owner about getting my yarn in her booth at the Sheep and Wool festival. That would be amazing. Really amazing!

Aside from that, I head to Texas tomorrow for the week. I get to teach a course for 3 days with a few other co-workers. It should be neat. We haven't taught a course to so many before (we're used to 12-15, and we'll have 40). Nice to be getting teaching experience in. Always helpful. Well, have to run and pack!! Hopefully the airport won't be snowed in tomorrow! What is it with snow in March?!