Tuesday, April 1, 2008

freaking wasps

Usually, in september or october, once or twice I'll come home and find a wasp or two in the house. I'll kill the suckers, and that will be that. This morning, sitting and watching Little Einsteins with Celia and Seth, Celia points over to the curtain to a wasp. Now I'm terrified of bees and wasps. It's completely irrational, but I'm terrified. I won't go near them, and if I'm outside and they're around, I leave and go inside where I'm "safe" from them. Last fall, I had the nerve to kill 3 of them myself without asking for help. This morning, I can't do it. I finally get the nerve to go down and kill it, and I can't find it. I send the cats downstairs to find it for me (they're good like that), and they do find it. But it's near the ceiling. The last thing I should be doing is balancing on a step ladder near the fireplace. Can't you just see me up there, swatting away, have it fly at me, lose my balance and crack my head on the brick? I sure can! I called my husband (twice- once to ask where the fly swatter was, and the second time to ask where the wasp spray was= which we dont have btw) to tell him about it. The second call, he was just laughing at me. I've been down three times since I talked to him last, hoping that it moved to a level where I can reach it, and it's still up high. Not as high now, but still too high for me to do it. I'm such a baby when it comes to wasps and bees, it's really annoying! He's offered to come home and take care of it over his lunch break, and I think I'm going to take him up on it. I won't let Celia watch TV down there, since I don't want her to try to do it herself, or get stung. And I won't go there with the baby either, since I'd feel awful if he got stung too.

And mind you, this is day 2 in a row home with a sick Celia. She's had a fever (over 102 yesterday, and today it's just below 102. Thank goodness for Motrin, though you'd never know she's sick after it's kicked in. Hopefully it will break soon. We're getting our taxes done tomorrow morning, and I'd rather not have to take both kids with me!

EDITED: My darling husband came home at noon, killed the wasp, gave us hugs, and headed back to work. I'm truly married to the most wonderful man in the world. Thanks honey!! I am so baking you chocolate chip cookies in a few minutes!